Before seeking foundation grants to help offset the costs of your higher education, you should pursue the following avenues:
- Learn about federal aid opportunities.
- Fill out the online Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to calculate an early estimate of your eligibility.
- Learn about state-level funding from your state's financial aid agency.
- Contact the financial aid office(s) at the school(s) you are considering.
- Explore scholarship sites.
- Ask about scholarships from other organizations in your personal and professional networks, for example:
- Department office for your academic program
- Local or regional alumni clubs
- Community, civic and religious organizations
- Businesses or corporations that employ you, your parents, or your spouse
Answer the questions in our scholarship worksheet before you start your research. Your answers will help you focus, suggest search terms that you can use, and help you find opportunities that you might not have considered before.
You can search for foundation grants with Foundation Grants to Individuals Online, our searchable database of grantmakers that provide support directly to individual grantseekers, including students. To search from your own computer, you can subscribe at our web site, or you can use it for free at Foundation Center libraries and Funding Information Network partners.
If you are seeking funding as a graduate student, please see our related Knowledge Base article Where can I find information about financial aid as a graduate student?
Free recorded webinars on scholarships and loans
>> How to Find & Win Scholarships and Fellowships
Selected resources below may also be helpful.
Books & Articles
Check title availability at Foundation Center libraries and Funding Information Network partners or through your local library:
Annual Register of Grant Support: A Directory of Funding Sources
The Grants Register
Multiple directories by population group and academic field, edited by Gail Ann Schlachter and David R. Weber
You Might Also Like
Search the Knowledge Base
Questions by Category
- Funding Resources
- Funding Research
- Nonprofit Management
- Individual Grantseekers
- Resources for Non-U.S. Grantseekers
- Preguntas y respuestas en español